We all know that magnesium oxide and magnesium hydroxide are often used in rubber, plastic and flame retardant industries, but we may rarely know that magnesium oxide and magnesium hydroxide also exist in the paper industry. And because of its own special nature, it has brought a lot of help to the paper industry, let’s find out together!
1, Compared with the traditional process, the actual effect of using magnesium oxide and magnesium hydroxide
In the paper industry, there is a process that requires bleaching of pulp. Magnesium hydroxide is used instead of caustic soda in the pulp bleaching operation. Messi Biology compared it with the traditional bleaching process and found that magnesium hydroxide can maintain the gloss of pulp. Brightness, improved slurry viscosity, reduced chemical oxygen demand (COD) and production costs. In the bleaching process of pulp with hydrogen peroxide, the content of iron and manganese ions in the slurry can be reduced to 2mg/L by using magnesium oxide instead of caustic soda, and can be reduced to 10mg/L by using magnesium hydroxide instead of caustic soda. And it can improve the quality of slurry, so as to avoid the yellowing of paper caused by excessive iron content.
2, the main role and principle of magnesium oxide or magnesium hydroxide in the paper industry
1. Enhance the strength and hardness of paper: Magnesium hydroxide reacts with carboxyl groups or other functional groups in fibers to form a shrinkage chain structure, which increases the interaction force between fibers, thereby improving the tensile strength, wear resistance and hardness.
2. Improve the gloss and whiteness of paper: Magnesium oxide or magnesium hydroxide reacts chemically with organic substances and impurities in pulp, which can absorb these impurities and form solid particles with them, thereby improving the gloss and whiteness of paper . It can also be used as a white reference in colorimetry.
3. Improve the water resistance of paper: Magnesium oxide or magnesium hydroxide has good water resistance. It can form a cross-linked structure with fibers and increase the interaction between fibers and fillers, thereby improving the water resistance and moisture resistance of paper.
4. Reduce the cost of papermaking: With the same paper quality, adding an appropriate amount of magnesium oxide or magnesium hydroxide can reduce the amount of fiber in pulp, thereby reducing the cost of papermaking.
5. Improve the compactness and rheology of the lubricating film and reduce the ash content.
In summary, adding magnesium oxide or magnesium hydroxide can effectively improve the physical properties and aesthetics of paper, and reduce the cost of papermaking, so it is widely used in the papermaking industry. However, the above are all based on the excellent quality of magnesium oxide and magnesium hydroxide. If the product quality cannot be guaranteed, it will affect the quality of the produced paper. Messi Biology has been developing continuously for more than 20 years, successfully tailoring solutions for many downstream customers, and constantly following up, providing all-round services and professional technical support. It is a service provider of the whole industry chain integrating quality and service!